The trick of a good Green Smoothie is within these 6 steps:
1. Find your base liquid. I personally like Coconut water. Other options are hemp seed or coconut milks. And of course you can go with plain Water or juice. After you decide on the liquid, pour a cup in to your blender.
2. Decide if you are going to use Ice or frozen fruit. I tend to lean toward ice cubes. For my blender it is about 10 ice cubes for every cup of liquid. You will adjust for your blender. If using frozen fruit, you could drop about a cup of your favorite in there and not use the ice cubes
3. I always put a banana in my smoothies because it makes them creamier and adds sweetness without sugar.
4. Decide what flavor you are going for. If it is fruity, chocolaty or almond butter etc.
5. Choose your greens , there is a rule in our house that you can’t make a smoothie without greens.
Good Green options are any of the following, Kale, broccoli, Chard, Spinach, Parsley, wheat grass powder, spirulina powder, chlorella powder etc.
For beginners, I like frozen organic spinach because it is the least powerful in taste. But be sure to mix it up, so you’re body isn’t getting too much of any one green.
6. Accessorize and have fun, add seeds that are packed with omegas like chia or hemp seeds or throw in some herbs and spices. If you want something really spicy, drop in some Cayenne pepper flakes. Want something healing, drop in a tiny bit of ginger, etc. If you like cilantro, throw that in there to help with inflammation. Add more veggies like celery, sweet potato or butternut squash. Or get really creative with dark chocolate! The possibilities are ENDLESS!
And that is it!!! Pick your base find some favorites, then just have fun with it.
Here are a few simple recipes to help get you on your way to great smoothie making. The best thing about smoothies? They are hard to mess up. If they are too sweet, add something less sweet, if they are too bitter, add more sweet. Follow your taste buds!
Coconut water, frozen mango, frozen pineapple, banana, something green
Almond Butter Cinnamon Smoothie:
Coconut water, 1 banana, 1TBS almond butter, 1 tsp of cinnamon, frozen spinach, and ice (you can add wheat grass powder or other greens and seeds if you have them)
Nita’s Pina Colada (without the colada):
Coconut water, banana, kale or spinach, frozen pineapple, 1/2 apple, handful of coconut shreds, a Squirt of orange juice, and a little ice
B’s Grey Smoothie (this one is great for kids that don’t like green):
Non Dairy Milk, Spinach or kale, blueberries, strawberries, banana, hemp seeds, carrot and ice
Red white and blue (and green of course):
Non Dairy Milk, Strawberries, blueberries, banana, spinach or kale, chia seeds and ice